As I mentioned in Boom Goes the Dynamite, since I really can't find any decent channels to watch on my tv in my room, and because I don't have access to stream any U.S. shows online, I am happy that I purchased a fair amount of books prior to leaving the states to read during my stay. Lately, I'm been extremely busy with work and haven't had as much time to read as I would like. But, I'm going to try and make it a priority over the next month and get through as many of my collection that I brought along as possible.
Currently, I am reading Pete Sampras' autobiography, A Champion's Mind: Lessons from a Life In Tennis. I should finish this over the weekend, and I wasn't sure what I was going to read next until I saw this week (thanks to Alex) that The Blind Side trailer (see below) was released. Thus, I will be reading The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game by Michael Lewis next to make sure I have this book under my belt before I check the Hollywood version out.
I became a big fan of Michael Lewis after I read Money Ball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game in college. If you haven't read any of his books before, I recommend you check them out! With that said, I also have another Michael Lewis novel with me that I got about halfway through back in March and just have not picked it back up again titled Liar's Poker: Rising Through the Wreckage on Wall Street. DTO, I promise I'll finish this while I'm here and return it to you.
After I come out of Michael Lewis mode, I think I'm going to read Randy Pausch's The Last Lecture. Most of you are probably familiar with the widespread fame of The Final Lecture all over the web in late 2007 and 2008.
I have two other books with me also, but just looking at the above and considering my work load, I don't know that I'll have the time. The first is Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire. Since I've seen the outstanding broadway show twice, I really want to check out where the story originated from. Secondly, I have U.S. History for Dummies. I can't say that I've ever read any of the "Dummies" series of books before, but I constantly am trying to remember all the bits of U.S. History that I learned in high school, and I made the purchase because I thought that a refresher 10+ years later was in order. I definitely think it will be a much better read than any textbook you could find out there!
Needless to say, bringing all of these books with me took up some precious space in my luggage (and also will on my return). In hindsight, I probably should have invested in a Kindle instead. After seeing one of these in person for the first time over at the Hennessy's, I think this invention is incredible!
I think my plate is certainly full of books to read during the remainder of my time, but I'm always open to recommendations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment