Wednesday, August 19, 2009

मैकडॉनल्ड्स


The title above is "McDonald's" in Hindi, which is what appears on the sign next to the golden arches. It's official-the McDonald's in the food court downstairs in my building now is serving McChicken Nuggets! My usual staple in the food court is garlic chicken from Beijing Bites, and probably will continue to be, but it's nice to have another 'go to' for lunch. Doesn't this just look delicious? I normally order this at least twice a week.


Before I arrived, I scanned the websites of the 'American' food chains that had a presence in India so that I could know what to expect. When I first pulled up the McDonald's website, there was a huge message on the main page that indicated that McChicken nuggets were now being served in India. Well, that was in June, and I was a little disappointed when I arrived and realized that none of the McDonald's in Bangalore had gotten the memo yet. There definitely aren't the variety of dipping sauces you would find in the states, so their mustard (which is actually a hot mustard, of course) and barbeque sauce will have to do.

One odd fact about these dipping sauces, and really all items similar in nature, is that even these small items have an MSRP on them. In the states, I'm sure everyone has noticed before that items such as these normally have a statement along the lines of, "Not for individual resale" . I guess they are leaving the door open for establishments to nickel and dime you if they feel like it.

Another odd fact is that McDonald's and Subway in the food court are the only two places out of about ten that serve food in any type of wrapper/container/cardboard box. Every other place serves food on sectional, school lunch trays, and these are carried to a wash area. There is not a single trash can (or more commonly referred to as a dustbin in India) in the entire place for patrons to use.

1 comment:

  1. Don't get hooked on the McNuggets! Once you do, you'll never go back to the Big Mac. Those things are good, regardless if it's really chicken at all.

    ReplyDelete