Thursday, August 20, 2009

Encore

In Late Night, I noted my top five Indian responses/comments/phrases. Since there are obviously more than that, it was difficult to limit the list to just five. Thus, I have included an additional five below.

#10-"kindly"-This is the Indian equivalent of the word 'please'. For example, "Kindly respond to this message at your earliest convenience." This is how it is used in the written word. The spoken word-the head wobble is used for 'please' and 'thank you', even though that obviously is more non-verbal.

#9-"not keeping well"-They aren't sick, or ill, they just aren't keeping well. Sounds to me more like it's time to replace the tupperware than a response to physical condition.

#8-"consider"-See explanation below.

#7-"take a print"-The translation for this one is "I'm going to print it out and take a look at it." I guess you can't blame them for trying to limit the word usage.

#6-"have lunch"-Where I'm from, this sentence structure indicates a command, not a question. But here, it is definitely a question, even though it doesn't have all of the parts to formulate a question, at least if you put it to a test using your diagramming skills. I guess it's all in the way you ask the question as to whether or not it really is a question or a command/statement. But, in the written word, it certainly doesn't measure up. And, it really isn't a question of if you have eaten a meal or not, it really is used as more of a greeting or instead of asking how you are doing. I found this meaning out by responding, "No, I haven't. Would you like to join me?" Response-confused look as to why I didn't answer their question.


#8 above made this list due to the frequency of use this week, primarily by just one person. In my 30 minute meeting with her, she used the word "consider" (properly and improperly in sentences) so many times that I lost count and I almost wonder if someone made a bet with her like the cat game with "meow" in Super Troopers.

1 comment:

  1. Jay, I can vouch for several of those different Indian phrases. I've seen at least three of those just in email responses I've received from the Indian staff I work with --

    1- kindly
    2- not keeping well
    3- i have a doubt

    Haha - I can't imagine hearing that all the time!

    ReplyDelete