In teaching training this week, this response has been pretty common. In my attempt to get some feedback from the team, I simply ask from time to time if there are any questions. The response-a head wobble. When asking if they had a good weekend-head wobble. Ok, maybe shoot for a question that doesn't require a yes/no response. What did you do over the weekend. Response: head wobble.
While this is a frequent response, it is more so in the minority and the team has actually been very interactive during training, much different than the majority of the trainings I have attended in the states.
The link above has some pretty good info about the head wobble, such as:
Situations where you're likely to encounter a head wobble include:
- As an alternative to "thank you", which is not commonly said in India.
- To acknowledge someone's presence. This can be particularly useful if you see someone you know across the street but can't shout out to them.
- As a gesture of kindness or benevolence, for example, if someone sits down next to you on the train.
Most often, I would say that the head wobble is most utilized as "thank you" rather than the other two situations. Also, I think the article says it best in that, "It's definitely a case of "actions speak louder than words".
The article also includes some tips for understanding the Indian head wobble such as:
- A fast and continuous head wobble means that the person really understands. The more vigorous the wobbling, the more understanding there is.
- A quick wobble from side to side means "yes" or "alright".
- A slow soft wobble, sometimes accompanied by a smile, is a sign of friendship.

I laughed so hard. That's hilarious!
ReplyDelete