Friday, July 24, 2009

UB City

Today we held a celebration lunch with our insurance team over at the UB City Complex. We ate at the restaurant Khansama, named for the Royal Indian Master Chef. Here are some external pics of the UB City Complex.







Everytime I have eaten with folks from the office at a restaurant, they always order fresh lime soda to drink. So today, I decided to give it a try. It's actually really good stuff, and I'll probably continue to order it going forward. In A Historical Dictionary of Indian Food (Oxford University Press, 1998), author K. T. Acharya says that Fresh Lime Soda is "the supreme quencher of colonial thirst". It's just fresh lime juice sweetened and mixed with club soda.

While on the subject of food, I have found my new favorite snack in India. It is the Nestle Bar-One. Described on the wrapper as, "Luscious nougat and caramel with delicious chocolayer", I was introduced to these out of pure laziness of the clerk at the grocery. These bars cost Rs. 5, and since he did not have any Rs. 10 notes for my change, he just handed me two of these. I'm really glad that he did, otherwise I probably would have never purchased one on my own accord. And, I certainly favor these to a Rs. 5 coin.

Still on the subject of food, I wanted to point out something that I think most Americans would find odd. In the states, if we were to have rice with a meal, it would be served as a side dish. Over here, rice is definitely the main attraction and they literally give you a full plate of rice and whatever else you get (i.e. chicken, lamb, etc.) is served 'on the side'. Granted, my 'side' (along with whatever curry it is served in) quickly makes it atop the rice, so to an extent, it doesn't really make a difference.

One last note on food. Generally, I have been 'easing' into the cuisine, and only have one true 'Indian meal' per day. The other two are either something Western, Italian, Chinese, or Thai. But, lately here I have been testing the waters with the only non-Indian food being breakfast. Adapting too quicky you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment