Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Yesterday's News and Then Some

I used to be a fan of newspapers, and would generally try to skim through one each morning. However, living in the "digital age" now, I rarely pick up an actual newspaper anymore. And, with that said, it seems like so many other news events have occurred before the paper hits the newstands, while you were already reading nothing but yesterday's news, you most certainly are now.

This brings me to my point about newspapers in India. I have started reading the newspaper again since the residence provides me with two copies daily at my doorstep. Granted, these are Indian newspapers and are nothing like US newspapers (which is a good thing). But, what I've noticed is that due to the time difference (9.5 hours ahead of EST), not only am I reading yesterday's news, oftentimes it's news from two days ago. Let's take a US sporting event for example. If a game concludes at say 9:00pm EST, that is 6:30am in India-obviously well past the print deadline. Thus, it doesn't make it into the newspaper until the following day. This can be especially confusing if you were to look at MLB scores. Did the Braves actually win last night, or was that the day before?

I guess I'll just have to rely on the Indian newspapers for the latest Bollywood gossip and Cricket match scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment