Friday, July 17, 2009

It's All About the Benjamin's, I Mean, Gandhi's


The currency over here is the Indian Rupee (INR). On my journey over, one of my concerns was getting a hold of some rupees prior to my ride from the airport so that I would be able to tip my driver. Since I had some extra time in the Atlanta airport and was in the international terminal, I sought out a currency exchange booth. I finally was able to secure some rupees from the third exchange booth I visited in Atlanta. But, the smallest notes they were able to provide were Rs. 100, and I knew the maximum tip I would be giving to my driver and bellhops would be Rs. 50. When I arrived in the Bangalore Airport, fortunately I was able to visit another currency exchange and was able to secure one Rs. 50 note and two Rs. 20 notes.

While this resolved my immediate problem, I was still going to have to exchange currency somewhere else in order to have tip money going forward. Surprisingly, no matter where I go, I cannot seem to get my hands on any notes smaller than Rs. 100. In the U.S., we are all familiar with ATMs that provide cash in increments of $20. The ATMs here distribute currency in Rs. 100 notes.

This told, I think I have gained a reputation as a very gracious tipper thus far. Without smaller notes in my possession, I am forced to tip with Rs. 100. Now, keep in mind that Rs. 100 is equivalent to about $2 (USD), as the exchange rate is about Rs. 49 per $1 (USD) currently. So, it may be a stretch to say that I've been a 'big' tipper, but with respect to expected tip amounts, this amount is considered very gracious!

Now that I've disclosed the exchange rate, how much do you think this is worth?



While this appears to be a nice wad of cash, this is not even $50. Since securing smaller notes continues to be an issue, while in the office this week I have begun making trips to a grocery downstairs where I purchase something for Rs. 10-20 to break the Rs. 100 notes and obtain smaller notes for tipping purposes.

For perspective on the prices of items here, a 500ml (16.9 oz.) Coke costs Rs. 20, or approximately $0.40. My sandwich for lunch on Wednesday from Subway costs Rs. 80, or approximately $1.60.

Not everything is that cheap, though. For instance, I checked out the prices on some items during our trip to the Forum mall the other day. A Wii core system would run you about $400 (as compared to $250 in the U.S.). A 32mb iPod touch-$450 (as compared to $400 in the U.S.).

No comments:

Post a Comment